Last weekend, I attended my 50th High School reunion. I went to Archbishop Ryan High School in Northeast Philadelphia. I was excited to attend and reconnect with friends, many of whom I had not seen for 50 years! It was interesting to talk to people and learn how they have done over the past 50 years. Here are some takeaways
- Most have had a full life and have done well over the years. Many were retired and just starting to enjoy their 2 nd Acts
- Many had challenges with marriages, family issues, or personal illnesses. Most have weathered the tough times with support from family, friends and their faith.
- It was interesting to learn how many children they had and, if they did not have children, how they are living through nieces and nephews.
- Some admissions (from the boys) were that they had crushes on a girl in high school and thought about ‘what if’ over the years. The girls reactions were ‘ why didn’t you ever tell me”?
- We all have aged, but overall, most looked great for being close to 70 years old.
- There was a memory board that highlighted those who had passed. It was sad to remember them and realize they were no longer with us.
- As the night unfolded, it was interesting to realize how fast those 50 years passed ‘like a blink of an eye’…and we all had our history in common.
- Many were unsure about attending the reunion- and had questions like: will I know anyone? What would we have to say to each other after all these years?
- There was a DJ who played music that got us all onto the dance floor….it was fun to watch everyone dance.
- Bottom line – I am so glad I attended my 50th High School reunion – and I wish my fellow students all the best for the next 50 years!
If you have a reunion coming up with your grade school, high school, or nursing school, I hope you will attend. It is a great way to reflect on your life and remember the good times and how far you have come.
NOTE: I am in the process of putting together my 2022 Summer Reading List. If you have read a good book this year, please email me the title and the author, and I will include you in the list!
Have a good week
Thanks for sharing! Awesome thoughts.
It was great to read this blog, Anne. It brings back some wonderful memories.
Anne so many nuggets of wisdom here. Bottom line its important to always keep in touch. Socially we need ito stay engaged as we get okder, sefinately keeps us all on our toes. Thanks as alwaya for the great blog!
What a fun day! Thank you for sharing.